Within the UK-Russia Year of Music, the Studio for New Music Ensemble presents a cross-section of contemporary music from the UK. The concert will be held on February 13th at the Rakhmaninov Hall of the Moscow Conservatory.
NewTon has been conceived as a crossword-puzzle in which some biographical details, together with professional and creative approaches of the authors are intertwined. At first glance, all the composers have little in common except their British nationality, highest quality of music and freedom from any kind of composition school. But up close, there are some interesting parallels from their backgrounds as well as connections concerning the history of the works that will be performed:
- Brilliant self-taught Brian Ferneyhough who proposed a new model of interaction between composer and performer, encouraging the latter to unleash creative potential and to become a co-author of the work.
- Composer, violinist, researcher and improviser Roger Redgate who studied with Brian Ferneyhough: his composition Black Icons has been written for and premiered by the Studio for New Music Ensemble and Alexander Ivashkin.
- Well known to audiences for his work on BBC and as artistic advisor of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, composer and writer Gerard McBurney studied composition at the Moscow Conservatory with Edison Denisov.
- The youngest-ever recipient of the Composer’s prize of the Siemens Musikstiftung, lecturer at Cambridge University and City University, London, Steven Daverson: his work Elusive Tangibility IV was awarded the first prize at the Jurgenson Composition Competition (2009) held by the Studio for New Music Ensemble.
- Prizewinner of the First Jurgenson Competition (2001) composer and music philosopher John Croft.
- Russian-British composer Elena Firsova who studied composition with Edison Denisov in Moscow.
- One of the most eminent composer-conductors of his generation, Honorary Doctor of the Royal Academy of Music, Oliver Knussen who performed in Russia on several occasions.
Black Icons for cello and ensemble (2011)
Coloratura for oboe and piano (1966)
Cherry Cottage 1782 для фортепиано соло (2013)
Elusive Tangibility III: Clandestine Haze for ensemble (2011)
Seirēnes III: Trio for bass flute, viola and cello (2013)
Slide Stride for piano and string quartet (2002)
…upon One Note. Fantasia after Purcell for clarinet, violin, cello and piano (1995)
Dalla luce alla luce for accordion and string quintet (2014)