Following an open call led by the Cultural and Education Section of the UK Embassy in Moscow, a number of music books by contemporary UK authors will be published by Russian publishers in 2019 and early 2020.
These celebrate the importance of a vibrant music publishing scene and deepen a shared understanding of the UK’s past and contemporary music heritage.
We are happy to announce the winning titles and selected Russian publishers:
- Gustav Holst. Materials and documents (collection of articles, illustrations and musical application) by Ian Lace, Len Mullenger, David Trippett, Jonathan Scott, Paul Ayres etc. Special commission. Russian publisher: The Organ Salons.
- The British Amp Invasion: How Marshall, Hiwatt, Vox, and More Changed the Sound of Music by Dave Hunter. UK publisher: Outline Press. Russian publisher: The Armchair Scientist.
- Facing the Other Way: The Story of 4AD by Martin Aston. UK publisher: Harper Collins Publishers Limited. Russian publisher: The Armchair Scientist.
- Schubert's Winter Journey: Anatomy of an Obsession by Ian Bostridge. UK publisher: Faber&Faber. Russian publisher: AST.
- Bach: Music In The Castle of Heaven by John Eliot Gardiner. UK Publisher: Penguin. Russian publisher: Rosebud interactive.
- Last Night a DJ Saved My Life (2nd edition) by Bill Brewster and Frank Broughton. UK publisher: Lucas Alexander Whitley Ltd. Russian publisher: The White Label.
- One Hundred Miracles: A Memoir of Music and Survival (Wendy Holden). UK publisher: Greene & Heaton. Russian publisher: AST.
- How Art Made Pop (Mike Roberts). UK publisher: Tate Publishing. Russian publisher: Ad Marginem.
- Black Sabbath: Symptom of the Universe (Mick Wall). UK publisher: St. Martin's Press. Russian publisher: Eksmo.
- Art as Music, Music as Poetry, Poetry as Art, from Whistler to Stravinsky and Beyond (Peter Dayan). UK publisher: Routledge: Taylor & Francis Group Ltd. Russian publisher: N.I.Novikov Publishing house.
- Why Handel Waggled his Wig (Steven Isserlis). UK publisher: Faber&Faber. Russian publisher: Samokat.
- Energy Flash: a Journey Through Rave Music and Dance Culture (Simon Reynolds). UK publisher: Faber&Faber. Russian publisher: V-A-C